So I realize I read the wrong chapter in Freedmen on Tuesday night! Instead of reading chapter 2 I had read chapter 3. After feeling stupid for a while I said "oh well" and read chapter 2 & 4.
This is what I blogged about on chapter 3 on Tuesday night. If students (artist) are going to be creating a work of art they need to know why, when, who, and what has been created in the past. This way ideas can be remade. Example if an artist had never heard of pointillism or Georges Seurat they may try to purpose an idea for creating a painting using small dots instead of strokes. We can’t reinvent the wheel but we can make a more awesome wheel or wheel like thing. As I read this chapter I thought of the spark in Imagination first rewriting history. What if a current artwork was never created or art movement never started? What would be the ramifications? Or would some other artist create that art or start that art movement further on in time?
Freedmen's chapter 4 was very interesting. Before I started teaching art I was a daycare teacher in a 2 & 3 year old class. I am currently working at the same daycare in the afternoons this summer. I have always found very young children' imagination fascinating. It was interesting to read research on behaviors that I myself have observed. I also loved what Freedman said about how we react to color depends on not just the way our eye sees it with relation to the brain, but also depends on social conditions. His examples where great but I thought about how we have define colors as "boy colors" and "girl colors"
On the subject of young children... I decided I was going to VTS with my 2 &3 year old daycare kids this afternoon! It was very interesting and funny. I did video it but I need one more parent permission before i can show everyone. I choose this painting by John Constable. I choose it because it is of a family with several children which I thought they could recognize as a family. The conversation speaks for its self!
me: What do we see in this picture?
boy 1: um... Princessesss!
boy 2: Pencils!
boy3: Princess
boy4: Princess
me: What make you say they are princesses?
boy 1: They dance around
me: what in this picture make you say that?
boy 1: boobies. (I think he was saying they are princesses because they have boobs)
boy 4: they dance with their haots (hats)
me: what more can we find?
boy2: pictures...cheeseees! (I think he meant it is a photo of them)
boy1: Cheese Monfh, cheese monfh!
*brake to get back focus - 30 secs
me: what can we see in this picture?
boy5: mermaids swimmin underwater
me: what in this picture make you say that?
boy5: humm...just their all inside
boy 1: their in the house and go spinnin around
me: what else can we find?
boy 1: spinning around and fall down then bump your head.
I thought it was fairly successful considering it was the first time and they are 2 and 3.
No comments:
Post a Comment