Thursday, June 6, 2013

Reading Assignment 4


Again I like the topic of how young children think, learn and develop, so I like Eisner's chapter 5. I like the ideas of communities of learners working together to problem solve and create. As we our selves begin to work together in groups. This past school year I had my 3rd graders working as a class on a piece of public sculpture. There where problems that occurred during planning, design, and construction. We had to stop and have conversations about how to continue but those conversations were a learning experience for all of us. 

If you would like to see our sculptures and other artworks by CPS students go see TRYPS production of The Little Mermaid at Rock Bridge High School on JULY 19,20 at 7pm or July 21 at 2:30 

Another quote by Eisner I like is "But learning is seldom significant when it is limited to a onetime affair. The teacher who gives students clay one week, water-colors the next, wire for sculpture the third week, and linoleum printmaking the next, all in the name of providing a rich art curriculum, does those students no favor. What are needed are sequential opportunities to work on problems with one material, time to get a feel for that material, and time to learn how to cope with problems engendered by the material so that mastery is secured.” I believe this is what is wrong with the curriculum I had to deal with this past year. I am all about using new materials and letting students explore but let it resonate.

“Time on task is not only an index of students’ attention; it is also an index of the opportunity provided to learn how to deal with the problems they wish to address.” This is fantastic! I once had a 2 year old boy in my daycare class who was the most amazing artist problem solver i have ever see that young. he was your average 2 year old in most other regards, but if he had any kind of drawing instrument he would make many different kinds of circles and swirls over and over. different sizes and colors. he would often stop and study his work for a few seconds before continuing. he liked to try different drawing instruments as well; paintbrushes, crayon,pen,markers, etc. Once I timed how long he would sit and do this... longest was 43 mins! He is now 4 and still problem solving with his art, he will draw the same subject over and over until he gets it the way he wants it.

Richard Serra!
I have seen this art 21 episode before and I have seen some of Serra's work. When I was first was introduced to his work i wasn't too sure about it but it does give you a sense of space and the feelings start to conflicted.  like the idea of confining space mixed with open space which makes me feel uncomfortable. I like that aspect of his work. His work reminds me of work by Bob Cassilly. he created the City museum in STL, when I climb through his works of art I get some of the same feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment