Monday, June 10, 2013

Reading assignment 5



I love the idea of play that Pink talks about. Dr. Kataria’s laughing club sounds amazing! I tried some of the laughing exercise Pink mentions in the chapter with my 3 year old daughter which just made me laugh harder. I tried to look for a laughing club in Columbia and found one that meet every Thursday, I may go and laugh. I found it interesting that the US army uses video games to train their soldiers. I do enjoy playing Wii with my family and sims every once in a while, but I believe video games can become a serious addiction. I have a cousin who has a very serious problem with it, so I tend to avoid most video games on a regular base. But play in its self is amazing. I always felt I stopped playing with barbies to early in my childhood even though I was almost 13 year old and told myself this is it put them away I really didn’t want to. Why has society dictated that play should end when childhood ends? I often catch myself so engrossed in playing with my daughter’s toys I haven’t even noticed she has moved on to something else. While reading this I could not help but think of all the time we as adults demonstrate to child that adults don’t play. Example: my mother was leading Vacation bible school at her church last week and I sent my daughter. On Sunday at church my mother had the children and teenage helpers lead the congregation in the songs and dances they learned. It was sad to see all those adults just standing there. It was even sadder to see my sister (13years old) and her friend up there embarrassed when they had had so much fun this week. I danced and sang and enjoyed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment